Some years ago, we delivered a quilt to Corey-Jack (back at the beginning of 2011). Back then, we didn't have many squares, and it was an emergency quilt, so Kat put together some patchwork to fill in the gaps. 6.5 years on, his mum contacted us to tell us that the quilt had come apart through being well used and Corey was distressed about it.
After some consideration between Kat and me, we decided that we would do a replacement quilt - there were several reasons for this - first, Corey's was an emergency quilt so he didn't necessarily get squares that were tailored for him, just what we had available at the time, second, he only had 6 cross stitch squares rather than the full complement of 12, third, the fabrics we used back then were not as sturdy as those we use now, and fourth, Corey has been through 70 (yes, seventy!) operations, with more to come, so his quilt has been through a lot with him and suffered more wear and tear than most.